Saturday, September 14, 2013

It's been 3 weeks since I entered Germany and began my 10-month long adventure. New sights, new places, and a new language. All exhilarating but at the same time frightening. In a way I expected this, but in another, I wasn't fully sure. Many times I get asked why did I go to Germany. Why not Russia where you speak the language. Why not some third world country. I don't have a straight answer to give people. Not because I am unsure that this is where I want to be, but because it is difficult to place into words my motivations. Its a combination of my love for history, traveling, language, and adventure. I've always had this odd fascination about Germany itself. I've taken several courses in history and was always amazed at the resilience of the country. Whenever Germany became unified, it became one of the most powerful countries/entities in the world. The Goths in late Roman times, the rule of the Holy Roman Empire, Charles V, Otto von Bismark and the Prussians, post WWI, and even after the reunification of 1990. All of these are just examples of what happens when to a unified Germany. Its no wonder why post 1945, Germany was split. Never again can this country become unified. But I have gone too far on this subject. Basically this was something I wanted to experience in my life before I am caught up the world of residency and life. I wanted to live an adventure, with fears but excitement. Visit new places and see new sights. This year I hope all of this comes true. I know this will be a life changing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment